Monday, December 25, 2006

Year In Review part 2

This is the conclusion to my year in review, check out part 1 also for more of my top 5 lists from 2006....

My Top 5 Movies Of The Year
5. ATL - Yeah I was skeptical of this movie at first site just like anyone else (especially since TI was the main character in his first movie) but after I saw it I damn near became a promoter for this joint. I actually left the theater in a state of shock like "damn, it wasn't even wack!" (to quote Dame Dash....LMAO.

4. Akeelah and The Bee - I was just happy about this movie. It was a story about someone coming from the "hood" in america and making something out of themselves other than a rapper, actor, athlete, or drug dealer...even if white america wouldn't promote it. And the best part about this movie is that it was based on a true story. Definitely something that I think anyone with preteens should have their kids watching.

3. The Prestige - This movie was just good. It was a phsychological thriller that made you think during the entire movie. I went to go see it not expecting much and ended up seeing one of the best movies that came out this year. Definitely one to see and talk about with others and somehow with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman as the two main characters it was the 3rd most underrated movie to drop this year. LOL.

2. The Gridiron Gang - This movie is a true story about a teenage detention center (read juvenile prison camp) where the kids (coming out of the ghettos of Cali) were blessed enough to be placed in the care of a man who actually cared. Anyone who has a teen male in the household should probably own this...it's definitely a good movie and eye opener so they should be able to relate. And besides that this was the second most underrated movie this year and it was actually a really good acting job by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, which is something you may never hear again in this life...LOL.


1. The Departed - Scorcese came back in rare form this year with what I consider the best movie I have seen this year and maybe the best gangster flick since Goodfellas. The cast consists of Jack Nicholson (Nuff' Said!), Leo DeCaprio, Matt Damon, and Mark Wahlberg and the story is great! It takes a look at the gangster life from the perspective of the cops dealing with it and has a lot of nice twists going on throughout the entire movie. Must see, must own, must be crazy if you doubt me (ask ANYONE who's seen it)! LOL.


(I haven't seen Blood Diamond or Dream Girls so they aren't under consideration during the making of this list. Honorable Mentions: V for Vendetta, Pursuit of HappYness, and Running Scared(the #1 most underrated movie))



My Top 5 Moments or Things I Hate/Dislike in 2006
5. The Redskins not starting Jason Campbell at quarter back and therefore f*cking up the entire season. Still pissed that this man has come in and won just as many games as Brunell and played half the time that Brunell played. Joe Gibbs is F*cking Up!!!! LOL.

4. All the stuff that comes with being a home owner that they never talk about. Those who have homes know what I mean. The repairs that never end, the months and/years you spend being "house-broke", flood insurance, the muphucking homeowners association!!! I swear it should be a crash course on all this stuff required before you even sign up with an agent to look at homes...might take some of that luster off of the process and make you think a bit more realistically about your money.

3. The death of so many black stars. I swear the last 2 years or so have been hard on black stars and this year was no different with us losing so legendary figures in black entertainment. R.I.P. to Luther Vandross, James Brown, Ed Bradley, Gerald Levert, Coretta Scott King, Lou Rawls, and Buck O'neal (negro league baseball player).

2. The emergence and at the same time decline of Lil Wayne. Wayne dropped what is probably his best album in December of 2005 and it has blazed the airwaves throughout the year and led to him dropping another album with him and "his pa" Baby. The thing is that now that Lil Wayne is older, he is maturing lyrically, and he is arguably one of the best rappers out there. The problem is now that he is older his content has gone to SH!T! I was a Lil Wayne fan back when he was 15 dropping his first album and you know what he talked about back then, making sure he didn't curse, talking about family, losing his real father, and basically proving that he had enough skill that he didn't have to talk about all the BullSh*t he talks about now....WTF happened? I really wish he took his current lyrical skill and went back to his old content.

1. DIPSET - especially Jim Jones and at this very moment "Fly High". I'm not even gonna disgrace my page with a picture of these dudes.


My Top 5 Blog Posts of 2006
5. Hello, my name is Dane and I'm an addict.... - This one was when I took the opportunity to share my love for comics with the world. LOL.

4. Black Men and Church (long article) - Probably the least read blog I have posted so far because I was dumb enough to warn you all that it was long....LOL. It is a really good article that was sent to me that addresses the lack of black men in church.

3. Can I get the white-collar with the blue trim??? - Me approach at getting some clarity on the issue of women wanting to date blue-collar brothers over white-collar brothers. Some good opinions were given on this one.

2. Color Struck - I bit of my comedy mixed in with a serious video about young black women and kids and their outlooks on race growing up in america. Really nothing to laugh at...this video almost brought me to tears when I first watched it.

1. Visiting My Space - A personal look at a piece I wrote for my grandmother who passed away this year.




I may have one more post this year but I'm sure you won't hear much else from me until my vacation coming up for New Year's.

I'm 'bout to be on a island some where.....word to my momma!!!! LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home