Monday, December 25, 2006

Year In Review part1

I just wanted to take some time to write up some of my favorite and some of my dislikes of 2006 just to get my opinion out there and hopefully piss off a couple of people or start some conversations...LOL. Some of it's personal and some of it general but remember these are my favorites and not what I would necessarily call the best of the best (specifically about albums and movies)....

My Top 5 Favorite Hip-Hop/Rap albums of the year
5. Idelwild Soudtrack - OutKast: At the beginning of the year I was still going thru my Little Brother craze and until I got this album over the summer I didnt' think there was anything that could brake me out of it. I especially liked this one because, unlike the previous Outkast album, Big Boi really held down the rap part even better than Andre' held down...whatever it is that he does these days. LOL.

4. Hip Hop Is Dead - Nas: I don't think it's the greatest thing for Nas since Illmatic like some of my friends seem to think but I do like the album. But the reason it makes the top 5 list for me this year is because it is sending a message to the other guys in the industry that they are killing Hip Hop and I agree with that.

3. - Ludacris: Finally I got a well rounded album from Luda where he doesn't talk about women and sex the entire time. I have been waiting for him to drop some content for a long time now and I am very happy to finally get the diversity that he needs to show more often.

2. Kingdome Come - Jay-z: This album does much of the same as "Hip Hop Is Dead" by letting the industry know that they have other ways to make hit songs and it's time to change up. I can't help but love what Jay was trying to do with this one. And besides that...IT'S THE RETURN OF JAY-Z!!!




1. Food and Liquor - Lupe Fiasco: Hands Down the best album of the year....period. I will argue that with anyone. This is real hip hop and it should be in your collection!





(honorable mention to Game for making #1 on Billboard his first week after going on his own and to Snoop for getting back to lyrics on Blue Carpet Treatment)


My Top Moments or things I loved/liked in 2006
5. Allen Iverson getting traded to the Denver Nuggets. You can read more on how I feel about that one on my last post, Thug Motivation.

4. Heroes - This NBC television show has made me a true television fan again. I used to be a couch potato as a child but grew out of it when TV got lame. But the last year and a half I have been finding more shows that actually make me want to come back next week and this season I have found my favorite of them all with the creation of Heroes. Competing with 24 and Lost as the best show onn Television.

3. My discovery of rap artists 'Lupe Fiasco', 'Murs' and 'Kidz In Tha Hall' - Just when I think Nas is right and hip hop is dead I find some artists that make me a true fan again (just like LB did in 2005).

2. My Lakers starting off the season looking like they are in rare form and ready for the playoffs. And the best part about this is that Kobe doesn't have to score all the points to do so...YES!!!!! I guess since he couldn't get the MVP for averaging 35.4 and taking them to the playoffs he figured maybe he can get it for dropping 25, 7, and 7....we'll see.






1. Kobe Bryant dropping 81 points on the Toronto Raptors! Yeah it was last season but it was this year and I actually had the honor of being one of the few to tune in and watch it as it took place (that God for The Season Ticket!). I still can't believe how crazy it was to watch that...the man brought them back from 19 points down, dropped 30 in the 3rd, 27 in the 4th, and shot just under 61% on the night.










My Top 5 Goals Accomplished This Year
5. Finally getting some real work experience instead of just sitting around waiting for my clearance. I was sitting around chilling for almost 2 years (not complaining because they paid my for it) and it was definitely time for me to get out and get my hands dirty so that I can build my career.

4. Taking my first cruise (or getting on any boat for that matter) and going to Miami for the first time EVER. I am actually doing these for new years but I put it together this year.

3. Started writing again. I put the pen and pad down for about 9 months and back in April/May I just got inspired to pick it back up and get some things off my chest and I am very happy I did so.

2. Joining my church. I finally took time out from making excuses and man-ed up and joined my church this summer. This is the first church I have ever been a member of and I am so glad I was able to find a home. I needed that in my life.

1. Becoming a home owner. I finally moved out of my families home after a 2.5 year stint and got my own place. On top of that I have had at least 4 friends who have stepped up and got there own place this year also...it's a beautiful thing!

This is getting long so I'll stop it here and conclude it later......

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dane, you long post writing mufugga! I gotta get back to this joint later on today.

Oh yeah, 4 days till...

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lupe? WTF? Nas > Lupe. What you know bout Murs?

Man, you guys and this whole church thing. I look up to you guys in that regard. Maybe I'll start going next year (resolution perhaps?).

9:08 AM  
Blogger Daneger said...

You seriously think that Nas joint is better than Lupe....WOW! I don't think that joint comes close to me. I had two different versions of the Lupe before the real joint dropped and I still got it the day it came out. I have been to Best Buy twice since Nas dropped and haven't even thought about purchasing that joint yet. I guess I am just not feeling it as much as you.

12:30 AM  
Blogger T.a.c.D said...

I am feeling you Dane...its always good to sit back and reflect...
I finally found me a church home too and that's the GREATEST feeling!

Well, I am with you on the FIRST curise thing and the FIRST time in MIAMI so we shall have fun together....I even bought a bathing suite...that's deep right there....LOL
I'll see you in the M I A....
HOLLA...
this is ONLY just the beginning.....

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home