Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Catchy Trap Phrase

I gotta give credit to Mikesee for giving me the initial inspiration for this one and for the lil homie on the basketball court yesterday that was running his mouth and brought this emotion out of me. LOL.

I am talking about black america and (mostly) the hip hop generations need to come up with an ignorant catch phrase every couple of years. Whether it's by song, comedy, or movie we always seem to grab hold of one of these phrases and ride it out until everyone either gets tired of it or realizes just how stupid it is. (most cases we just get tired of it) I call them catchy trap phrases cause in most cases these phrases just give people a reason to feel better about being ignorant and I am just gonna go thru some I remember vividly. Don't get it twisted I myself have fallen victim to quite a few of these myself so I am laughing at me too. LOL

It's All Good - Oh we all remeber this one. Most commonly used in my young days as a Teen I loved to answer any problem with "it's all good dawg". I still have many friends that say that exact phrase on a regular basis. I guess since this was out when we came up it was hard to let go of. I got disgusted by the phrase when I realized that a lot of it's popularity may have stemmed from an MC Hammer song...LMAO!!!!!

Keep It Real - And my how that one went wrong. (shout out to the chappelle show, LOL) Probably the most popular trap phrase of my life, this first hit when I was 17 - 18 and is probably the most used by my friends and I of all the ones on this list. This phrase went from a harmelss quote about not lying and being yourself to peoples excuse for any and every ignorant activity. The first meaning of this normally lead to people not being afraid to be themselves around you...the later interpretation lead to a lot of fights because "I'm keeping it real too" is the normal reponse and things went down hill from there. LOL. The phrase was everywhere so I don't know where it started but Chris Rock has a hilarious award winning stadup where he touches on the topic well.

I'm A Grown Ass Man - I never understood why but back when I was around 21 this one got reallly popular. Don't get me wrong, when Cedric the Entertainer came up with it in Kings of Comedy I thought it was hilarious but I didn't think a nation of black people would pick it up so easily. My momma said it to me once!!! LMAO! (she called me a grown ass man for the record) There were lil girls at bustops going to school calling 14 year old boys grown ass men, professors at A&T telling lazy students "you a grown ass man", Pastor's in mens groups screaming on the young adults...basically anyone who wanted to scream on a lazy male but wanted it to come across funny, any kid who wanted to see just how far there parents would let go with the cursing in the phrase, or anyone who needed an excuse to tell someone they ain't doing something was using this phrase. LOL. It was a pretty funny phrase but I just didn't get the mass appeal.

4 Da Streetz - Yeah I intentionally put an ignorant twist on how I spelled this one. LOL. I still don't know WTF this one really means. A phrase coined by rap/hip-hop culture it can basically mean any damn thing. Seriously! Do some dumb shit...If people look at you funny just say it's 4 da streetz and all is forgiven. Do some good shit...people think you are a sell out just say it's 4 da streetz and all is forgiven. Honestly, who is to determine what is and isn't 4 da streetz? Bamas sell drugs to make money and he'll say it's 4 da streetz and another bama calls the cops about a crack house to clean up the neighborhood and he'll say it's 4 da streetz. This was one I never got into but the music around me whether it's 50 Cent or Talib Kweli definitely made it apart of my life in my early 20's.

That's What's Up - The thing about this phrase is I honestly believe no one has a true definition of what it means. I use this shit like it's going out of style and other than the fact that it's a response I have no idea what I'm saying. LMAO. You can respond to almost anything and say "that's what's up" as long as it's not negative. I think I could even flip it and use it for something negative....
Man1 (statement): Dawg, I was jye late for work this morning cause I woke up late and missed the first bus to the subway but the joint ended up derailing or some shit and a rack of bamas got hurt.
Man2 (response): That's what's up!
...I swear you can say that joint for almost ANYTHING. I could call my Grandmother right now and ask her "what's for dinner?" When she tells me I will say that's what't up and she won't even flinch. It's so damn ambiguous that people just except it. LOL. Hey, at least it hasn't been flipped to mean something negative yet. (it is bound to happen)

Stop Snitching - This is the most recent and quickly becoming the worst of all catcy trap phrases. Stop Snitching used to be a term that had to do with honor amongst theives. I had no problem with that way of looking at it because it had no affect on the general population. When you choose to live a certain lifestyle you play by the rules of the life you lead. Simple as that. You cheat on your woman you don't rat on others who cheat on their women. You rob banks you don't tell when someone else is gonna hit a bank that you want to rob...those are just the breaks. Now that the term has gained commercial popularity, thru them bamas that put Carmelo in that video in B-more, it has expanded into one of the most ignorant unwritten laws and culture has adopted. I choose to live right and do good but I have to live by your rules. Okay, mind your business but if you see a serial killer living next door and you know he did it by all means SNITCH ON THAT MUTHAFUCKA!!!! Especially if he is killing out of shape black men in their late 20's. Shit if you don't want to snitch on him call me!!!! Say what you want but I ain't sitting by while some dude rapes teenage girls....I'll be a snitch. LOL. Now I am not going out of my way to tell on anyone for anything and I don't suggest anyone risking life or limb for it but some shit you just can't let slide. Maybe I should come up with my own shit. "Don't Snitch...unless necessary" LMMFAO! Let a dude do a hit and run on my grandmother and you see it and don't tell....Oh you gonna snitch!!! LOL.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Whether it's by song, comedy, or movie we always seem to grab hold of one of these phrases and ride it out until everyone either gets tired of it or realizes just how stupid it is." Personally, if I decide to use one of these phrases, I usually use it until mainstream America tries to grab it like they understand what it is and how to use it. For example, "bling" and "making it rain".

"I call them catchy trap phrases cause in most cases these phrases just give people a reason to feel better about being ignorant" TRUE! When everybody else is sounding ignorant, I might as well jump in because it looks less stupid if ALL OF US are doing it together. Solidarity at it's worst.

Joints I still use though (LOL):
- It's all good
- That's what's up

That's ones I took off your list.

In general though, I think these phrases really just coincide with what's hot in hip-hop at the time. Some of them stick around for a few years, some of them stick around forever. The slang and catchphrases will continue to grow in number as hip-hop becomes even more prevalent in our everyday lives. The next coast that takes over rap will introduce their slang to the world and people will grab ahold. Imagine the hyphy movement taking over...

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home