Monday, September 18, 2006

Childhood Revisited (The "MAJORS")

Last week I was having a conversation with one of my boys (shout out to AB) about an old cartoon that I was in love with as a child and it had me reminiscing about a lot of the cartoons that I loved growing up in the 80's and early 90's. I'm talking back when it was actually worth rushing to get home after school so you wouldn't miss the new episodes and you got up at 8 a.m. on Saturday by choice, back when you knew exactly who the bad guy was and who the good guy was, back when they gave us entertainment and actually thought it was worth while to sneak a good lesson in there for the kids.
Now this is probably gonna be a little bias toward what little boys enjoyed but I'm sure the ladies can relate in some shape, form, or fashion. When I first got into cartoons as a kid when I really began to understand what they were about and know the characters it was about '83 - '84 when I was 4 years old. Back then the cartoon world (for boys) had a "Cartoon Trinity" (not to be confused or compared to the Holy Trinity, just used for emphasis purposes). These 3 cartoons RAN SH*T in the cartoon world for a solid 3-4 years.


GI JOE:




I know you smile just like I do whenever you hear someone say "and knowing is half the battle". That's why I had to give you both intro's...




Action, Adventure, a lesson at the end, and even a little patriotic brainwashing. LOL. You gotta love it.

He-Man:



Probably the most loved of the three, it still has people wondering today whether She-Ra was his sister, cousin, or girlfriend....LOL.


The Transformers:



Just incase you haven't heard there is a Transformers movie on the way next summer. Go 'head and search for the trailer if you haven't seen it yet.

During the run of these three dominant cartoons we also got another classic and unforgetable cartoon to grace the days of our childhoods.

VOLTRON:



Them punk ass power rangers did this joint an injustice!!!!

With the way that I regard the "Cartoon Trinity" you would think that there was none better but in my opinion the next joint not only was a suitable replacement for all three after there reign on top (I know I am so EXTRA...LOL) but was the SINGLE BEST CARTOON EVER.

Thunder Cats:



If you don't agree with me I really don't care what you have to say cause Thundercats is DOPE...so dope that you could call any character your favorite except Snarf and no one would argue, so dope that you know each one of the names (Lion-o, Cheetarah, Tigra, Panthro, Wiley Kit & Wiley Kat, Linxo, Pumyra, AND Bengally), so dope that 13 years after it ended they made a comic book for it, so dope that the grandfather on The Cosby Show was the voice of the black thundercat Panthro (Yeah he was black!!!), so dope that they made a spin off duplicate that was basically the same damn cartoon and that sh*t became one of the dopest cartoons of our childhood too....

Silver Hawks:



All I wanted as a kid was to see the Thundercats and Silverhawks together in one cartoon. These joints were LIKE THAT!!! LOL

I hope you are enjoying going back as much as I am but I ain't done, this is just the end of the major joints. More to come...

5 Comments:

Blogger jendayi said...

Where are The Carebears, Jem (truly outrageous), Rainbow Bright and The Smurfs? lol. Those were my favorite. I think I just might do a post on them! Thanks for the inspiration.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Daneger said...

I am not done...some of them are coming in another post.

1:21 PM  
Blogger T.a.c.D said...

I want to see some Gummie Bears, Ducktales...you know that Disney afternoon that came on in the afternoons on channel 20...but I am feeling these cartoons here though...man He-Man was my joint....

1:59 PM  
Blogger Daneger said...

Ya'll are getting ahead of me...I'm getting to that stuff tonight. It gonna be called "The Universals". The ones that dudes and girls watched. I got it covered...trust me.

3:32 PM  
Blogger jendayi said...

ok. i'll wait on that then.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home