Thursday, August 31, 2006

IdleWILD Perspective

In the recent weeks it seems that everyone has an opinion about the new installment to the Outkast legacy called Idlewild.









I am referring to the movie and the album with this one. So I figured I might as well follow suit and chime in with everyone else who's paying attention. I went to see the movie on opening night this past Friday and went to purchase the album (after much deliberation) this past Monday and feel that I have let them both marinate enough to give a well developed opinion of both.

The Movie: Let me start by saying that this movie is a musical, which by no means implies whether it's good or bad, that's just a warning for those who plan to see it but don't realize that fact. I feel you should know this going in because my sister (who saw it with me) didn't know and was blindsided by it at first, instantly forming an opinion based on past experiences with musicals like "Carmen: A Hip Hopera" (which f*cking SUCKED!).
With that said I was happy to see that this wasn't the case with Idlewild. I was glad to see that the movie was actually entertaining to me. The dynamic of Big Boi and Andre being two totally different people held up on the screen unlike many other rap duo's (Red and Meth, Kid & Play, etc) who fall victum to losing themselves in the group when on film. Andre and Antwan had two separate stories going on that intertwined rather than one story that could've been played by 1 actor rather than 2 rappers. The most surprising thing to me was that Atwan a.k.a Big Boi was the alpha male in their relationship in the movie because for some reason I always feel like Andre is the dominant one. My favorite part of the movie is the fact that they incorporated music from Speakerboxx and The Love Below into the movie allowing some of those weird (Andre) songs to make some sense. BUT if you aren't a fan of those albums then you probably won't get much out of this one because the story leaves something to be desired...just a little too predictable.
Like I said, it's entertaining but just not something that's gonna have you in awe because of the story (I basically knew everything that was gonna happen just before it was gonna happen).

The Album: I have to say I like the album also....of course I am pretty open when it comes to music and I am a fan of the new and improved Andre 3000 (equipped with the pink mic and blouse. LOL). I was warned that it is out there when it first came out which is why it took me about a week to pick it up but now that I have made the purchase I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Every track on the CD that Big Boi did was on point for me. All but one of Andre's cuts are tight also...I just can't get into that"Idlewild Blue" joint for some reason. I'm also not feeling Macy Grey...never have, never will, so that track is a definite skip for me. Other than that it's a CD that I can let ride out and if you actually ingest what they are saying then it will give you something to wrap you thoughts around. For me that's a damn good combination and something that's missing in hiphop A LOT these days.

My reasoning for this post is to put out a perspective of someone who actually likes both the movie and album since I have heard some 'not so great' reviews here and there. Another thing I want to address is this whole Billboard top 10/Movie Box Office top 10 thing. I don't really see what all the fuss is for. The Album was #2 on Billboard and people are upset....how many albums have they had at #2 in the past? The movie is #8 in the box office this week and again people are upset.....WTF!!! Okay maybe my expectations were low but both of these ratings have exceeded what I would have bet on for Idlewild....Someone please tell me why you thought it would do any better?

Get back at me!

3 Comments:

Blogger T.a.c.D said...

I truly enjoyed the movie...hence the 1000 + 1 entries that I have had on my own personal blog about it...
Me, I was disappointed in the fact that the movie is #8...Why? Because it has received better reviews than the #1 movie, and it just makes me feel like we don't go out and support our own art...its not like the movie looked like it was going to be wack...it looked good, to me anyway, from the JUMP...so that's why I was disappointed...being in the top 10 is really good, but I think it deserved to be in at least the top 5 considering what is currently OUT now....

In terms of the CD, #2 also another good place, but to be #2 to DK, come on now...rediculous...that's the issue with the #2 spot...
but you know that's just my personal opinion on the situation...

And I was glad when will.i.am said on the VMAs last night that if you hadn't gone to see the movie, that you needed to...its really a good film...some may say predictable, OK...but to the point that it takes away from the craft of acting that is performed or that it takes away from the direction of the camera...it was a good film, to me...

Now in terms of Boi an Dre...Boi has always had the more out going dominant personality to me...Bryan Barber actually stated that the characters are losely based on their personalities and I can totally see that...but again that's just me....

Sorry this is so long....just really have an opinion about this I guess

12:58 PM  
Blogger Daneger said...

I guess my surprise about their interaction is that it did seem to be natural for them yet I assumed that Andre was the alpha male in the relationship. That's all I meant by that comment. I don't dissagree with anything you said about the movie or the album, I guess I just don't feel as strongly because it's still better than I expected.

2:12 PM  
Blogger jendayi said...

I too like Idlewild (the movie and the CD). I agree with t.c. about the ratings. It's just surprising how Outkast has kept us and entertained us for so many years, yet when they need us, we don't step up and support them. BUT I am NOT surprised that DK came in over Outkast. Diddy promoted the hell out of that band. He's a mogul who does what he does and I can't even be mad at him for that.

And I LOVE the Macy Gray track!! The music and feel of the song is incredible!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home