Thursday, August 10, 2006

I Always Wanted A Little Brother (part 1)

This one goes out to the hip hop group that I feel is the most overlooked and underrated in the industry.





Little Brother!!!





A rap group that originates in Durham NC which features Phonte (MC, left), Rapper Big Pooh (MC, right), and 9th Wonder (Producer extraodinare, back). These 3 dudes have single handedly restored my faith in my beloved rap music with there lyrics that incorporate heavy content (they are far from the money, cash, hoes nonsense we have grown accustome to with topics that add depth to every song), lyrical ability (the wordplay displayed by Phonte in almost every track I hear seems to be unmatched by most in todays rap world) and some of the best beats you will hear these days. So it is only right for me to give them the best shout out I can think of (not to try and out do my boy Bone) by sending out a roll call of there work.






The Listening






This is there first album release and can be found online thru amazon.com or in the music section of your favorite store on rare occasions. This album introduces you to LB with a laid back old school hip hop feel very reminiscent to A Tribe Called or De La Soul. When you listen to "The Listening" you can really tell where there influences come from and you gain a respect for their skill. This is just a taste of what they bring to the table but once you hear it you know that these dudes are for real and what they are about.







The Chittlin Circuit 1.5






Yeah I know it sounds country but this mixtape is where these country boys let loose and show you just how tight they can be lyrically. This one is not as mellow as the first album but even though it is labeled a mixtape it definitely plays just like an album. If you wanted to get started with LB from scratch this is probably where I would point you. The concepts of some of the songs alone is worth a couple of listens and a guest appearance by Big Daddy Kane pushes the album over the top. Easily a classic in my book with the remixes of a few songs from "The Listening".


To Be Continued....

2 Comments:

Blogger jendayi said...

If I had to buy one Little Brother album, which one would you recommend?

11:37 AM  
Blogger Daneger said...

If you had to buy one I would say...man that's a hard one...I would go with the Minstrel Show because it's the one I started with, the easiest to find, and it is a complete album. The Minstrel Show will give you a good picture of the groups identity and I think that's one of the most important things with them.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home