Friday, August 11, 2006

I Always Wanted A Little Brother (part 3)

I’m still singing/ them dog tags on stage they still swinging/And even went they try to go hard at us I’m Joe Clark status, hat low still leaning/ the head ni99a in charge is still dreaming/ of an industry where hot sh!ts rewarded/ and dope sh!ts recorded/ and dumb sh!ts ignored/ and I sold my heart to the world, nobody bought it/ and everybody made a B-line/ quick to say that LB was on the decline/ HOLD UP, rewind/ wasn’t it a year or so ago that we was the same ni99a$ that everybody was behind/ but that’s the way it is when you dealing with the evil/ get a little status and they think you too regal/ that’s the nature of people/ why you think muphuckas like to feed pigeons but try to shoot eagles – Phonte, Separate but Equal









DJ Drama presents: Separate but Equal






Separate but Equal is produced by DJ Drama of Atlanta and is the second mixtape by LB. Once again Phonte and Big Pooh use there mixtape as the forum to showcase their lyrical skills with metaphors and simile flying left and right while still maintaining that content of all previous albums. This one is less like an album and more true to what you expect from a mixtape but they still have their comedic personalities incorporated into the album. There are a couple of songs on this album that contain some of their best verses yet presenting you with arguably their best content that’s not related to a personal matter (relationships/love, family). They are spitting about hip hop and if you listen to what they are saying you can’t help but agree with the real stuff they spit. The mixtape is blessed by guest appearances by Mos Def and Bun B.



We need to sit down, me and you have a chit chat/ Let's talk about friends and define that/ Let's talk about us never mind that/ Let's talk about trust where your mind at/ So you looking for a man, won't find that/ Had a good thing here let's rewind facts/ Believe me I know all about them other cats/ How they all played the game just to get to you/ Spitting all in my ear “which you like, who?”/ Tickled your fancy who you would invite to/ be yours, I penned verses, quote verses/ with purpose, so nervous/ I wrote urgence, I spoke shy, you spoke live, we spoke by/ up until this year when I saw you, you saw me, we walked by/ Till you found out I emceed, now you all up in my face like -- Big Pooh, The Listening







The Commercial Free EP






The Commercial Free EP is the only album in the collection that I have yet to pick up. The album is basically the live performances of some of their favorite tracks from the 4 previous LB album with a few new tracks added into the mix. Any true fan is of performances and LB will be sure to enjoy this one. I will be placing my order ASAP!


As far as I’m concerned Little Brother is the best group actively rapping these days and the only ones out that would be able to touch them is Outkast (if they would actually rap together again). This music is what hip hop is supposed to be all about and anyone who considers themselves a true fan of the art should jump on it.


Yo, the realest to do it, the illest maneuver and plan/ the business, you losers is killing the music, the man/ that’s known in every section they say the deadliest weapon is ‘Te chilling with the mic in the palm of his hand/ he saving rap from it’s hideous state/ he never gets rattled in the city of snakes/ when they say he don’t rhyme as much, I got the Midas touch, you Mineke ni99as should give it a BREAK/ I can relate to late nights rolling in a tinted Taurus/ with my man being exposed to the cities horrors/ going to open mic nights where the audience, they did ignore us/ but a lot of ill sh!t it had taught us/ like how to adapt to different people, different auras/ and bring messages that our forefathers taught us/ so even though I’m rapping now and got things/ I don’t rock chains, our ancestors did it for us -- Phonte, The Commercial Free EP

2 Comments:

Blogger T.a.c.D said...

I must say that since buying their album (when it first came out and its still in heavy rotation) and listening to various tracks on Mikesee's page, reading your blogs and watching them live on VH1 soul and just reading up on them and your post...I DO TOTALLY agree that they are truly under-rated....TRUE HIP HOP at its best!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Daneger said...

I didn't even know they were on VH1 Soul. I'm blown that I missed that.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home