Thursday, August 10, 2006

I Always Wanted a Little Brother (part 2)

I don't come out to play I head out to work/ I'm in the bidness of making ni99a$ heads jerk/I'm trying to move units, I wanna move hands/Yeah I comprehend the importance of having fans/But some fans just don't understand/walk that very thin line between being a Stan/Before all this rap sh*t I'm first a man/ I don't won't you all up in my space STANLEY JUST STOP IT/cause after some shows I ain't trying to chop it/and it's not hoes, ni99a$ out a pocket/can I live, have a moment to breath/ I just rocked for 2 hours and you still want more from me/ GOT DAMN! -- Big Pooh, Chittlin Circuit 1.5






The Minstrel Show






The Minstrel Show is the second album by Little Brother and also the piece of work that introduced me to LB. I personally think that this is the most complete piece of work they have done to date. It gives you mellow tracks and more up beats tracks as they continue to give you a personal insight, involve there sense of humor, and provide that content with dope lyrics all while calling out a lot of the ignorant stuff that is just accepted in the hip hop world. No matter how hard it is to get past the title, once you actually take a listen to what they are saying you won't be able to deny the skill. It was introduced to me as the best album of 2005 and once I listened to it I never argued.







Foreign Exchange: Connected






Once LB dropped there first major label album with the Minstrel Show they decided to branch off and do solo joints (while still working together of course). This resulted in "Connected" from Phonte. Since he is easily one of the best lyricists I have heard in year it's no denying that he does his thing on this joint but the surprise from this one is that it's probably to most laid back album of the entire collection. Phonte definitely made a point in getting a producer who would smooth it out with more of an instrumental and almost Jazz feel with the beats on this one. So all those who love albums like Train of Thought by Talib Kweli and mellow joints like that will absolutely appreciate this one. And you can't help but get caught up in the boys lyrics.







Sleepers







This is Big Pooh's solo installment. As the least lyrically inclined member of LB it's easy to assume that if there was gonna be one album in there collection to fall under the standards they have set, this would be the one. Surprisingly I personally think this is one of the best albums in the collection. Big Pooh makes a point to show that just because he isn't better than Phonte doesn't mean he isn't someone worth your respect in his own right. This album has gotten as much play if not more than every other album in the collection and I have to say that Pooh has made a complete album with this one. And the funniest part to me is that Phonte is only on 1 track which is far from the case on "Connected". This album stays true to the normal LB formal (Dope Beats, Dope Rhymes, What More Do Ya'll Want--Phonte) and the only other album I can of to compare it to is a Common album ( I won't dare name a specific one). So in other words Big Pooh is all about his content on this joint.


I went from n!gga$ telling me I really shouldn't rhyme/to dropping a classic album muphuckas couldn't find/took my respect, took lessons, and took the time/and if you want a success story just take a look at mine/I was blessed with the right components, so precise/'cause I write so tight within the moment/and spit like my life depended on it/I target you herbs/ on some telepromter sh!t I got you watching your words/Tay rhymes are real life, yours are 'so for instance'/taxing you n!gga$ like no dependants/12 bar courtroom drama with no co-defendants/don't beat it off, come to your senses/ LITTLE NI99A! -- Phonte, The Minstrel Show

To be concluded....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Dane.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home