Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Instrumental Version

Growing up I always knew that my mother played in her high school band at H. D. Woodson in DC because she made sure every time it came up that you knew they were two time band champs of the city when she was there. We all have our things right? Well growing up she never forced the band thing on us and since my different circles of friends never looked upon it as a cool thing...neither did I. Peer pressure is a bitch aint it. LOL. In high school we moved to NC and the view was different but by that time I had lost any interest in that stuff as I was so into comics and started looking at girls a lot more. LOL. My sister however did pick up a couple of instruments in middle school so I used to listen to her when she would practice...trust me, not an easy task at all. Which is why she gave it up by the time she got to high school. But anyway, I go to college and anyone who knows anything about A&T knows that my school is big on the band thing so you can't help but admire them. That admiration wasn't huge for me but it gave me a chance to share that love for the band with my mom and that was huge for me. Now I am far beyond college life and I look back and suddenly I wish I had picked up an instrument all those years ago in middle school/high school. Don't ask me where it's comming from but it's here. So now as I contemplate starting this new journey as one of my new things to try in 2008 I have absolutely no idea where to start. LOL. I guess I need to hit up the yellow pages and start looking for folks who give music lessons (is it just me or does that picture seem hilarious...LMAO)...but before I do that I need to pick an instrument:

There are String Instruments:



Who doesn't want to know how to play the piano right...LOL. I like the guitar a lot too and actually started to learn both of them before I succumbed to peer pressure in middle school.










There are Wind Instruments:



My mom played an instrument I wouldn't be caught dead playing...the flute. My sister played another instrument I just can't see myself playing...the Clarinet. Oboe is a no go also and you don't play the Tuba unless you are in a marching band. So it's the Trumpet, the Saxaphone, or the trombone. Basically the jazz instruments.




There are Percussion Instruments:



These instruments always seemed like they would be the easiest to me. Either you can catch a beat or you can't...but I'm sure if I chose the drums it WOULD NOT be that simple. LOL.








Honestly, I'm sorta leaning toward the Trumpet right now because I seem to love the way horns crank on a lot of my favorite rap albums right now. LOL. But I am open to advice, suggestions, and jokes. LOL.

4 Comments:

Blogger T.a.c.D said...

strings or keys

1:08 PM  
Blogger jendayi said...

hmm... i can see piano, guitar and trumpet. i know that doesn't help much but it's a start right? as a matter of fact, go for piano or guitar like t.c. said.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Daneger said...

I'm gonna look into the piano lessons also but I really want to do trumpet for some reason. I will look into all three and see what prices I come up with and then decide from there I guess.

1:23 AM  
Blogger A. B. said...

I am a big Sax man, you play some kenny g for a lady that you are courting and pretty much it is a wrap. I also play piano by ear, I have been known to play in Nordstroms LOL... They love my Melody or Sheila E, Prince, and the Peanuts tune. LMAO.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home