Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"But Money Don't Change You...It Just Make You More of What You Already Are"

Living in the DC area as a young professional it's pretty easy to get caught up in the rat race of chasing money. A lot of us find ourselves unintentionally focused on that pursuit once all the bills and other things in life come about. Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about the near future goals in my life and it's hard not to notice how much money plays a part in some of those goals. What I'm wondering is where is the line at before you are just money hungry? The thing about greed is that it's NEVER satisfied because you can always have more, so when you get that green eyed monster on your back it's hard to shake. So when does it become less about goals and more about money? You reach your goals and then make more advanced ones to replace them and those "more advanced goals" usually require more money.
We live in a society and world where money is vital to survival...they go hand and hand so it's very easy to get caught up in it. Think it ain't important if you want but according to a response on another blog by my girl TC Finances is the #2 cause of divorce. Fellas tell me it would be easy to be married to a woman who makes $15k more than you...???? I'm not even saying you aren't doing your thing or have it together. I'm talking you sitting on $75,000 at 28 years old and she is sitting on $90,000 at 25...that isn't some easy shit to cope with for a lot of men but that is a very possible reality. Ladies, the same thing goes for you. Tell me you want to date a brother with bad credit when you shit is A1 and you got a house, a car, a large savings account, and some nice things you have splurged on. As petty as it may seem that can be a real dilemma for a lot of people.
Personally I try to keep my goals in mind when I think about "more money". I have always been family oriented and always wanted to have a nice size family and in order to do that...yep I gotta get some bread but once I have enough for us to live comfortably I am pretty much done chasing. I ain't got the patience. I'd much rather spend time with my wife and kids than spend time at work so my wife and kids could do something without me. You should have read my motto by now "what's the point of making all this money if I can't get off of work to enjoy it"....I'm trying to live by that shit. And as far as the finances and relationships go...it actually turns my stomach to learn that this is the #2 reason for divorce. It's a challenge but have you EVER heard of a marriage that didn't have challenges. I think the problem is our (me included) focus on money being placed over things that should matter a lot more than finances. My feeling...if you love that person then their financial status can't change that. So maybe money can't change you but it can damn sure change your mind huh?
Let me know what you think people...???

1 Comments:

Blogger jendayi said...

wow. i've been talking about this very issue for the last few months. your whole scenario of credit scores and joint checking accounts rings really close to home. i'm not even sure how, but my bf and i have worked all of it out. it's amazing how integral money is in your life, but in reality it's all about a person's character and how they make decisions. if they're money grabbing monsters, then... you know. it might not work. if they're making money to provide in order to keep peace...then you're good. if they're making money to spend on themselves and can't wait to make more so they can buy themselves the next big thing then... hmmm... What is the person DOING with their money or what are they DOING about their lack of money? What are their goals? Are they accomplishing them? Show me a broke man with the determination to survive over a rich man with the attitude of selfishness and greed.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home