Saturday, November 24, 2007

Giving Thanks part 1 & 2

Part 1 - "Get Back to me, Get Back to mines, Get Back to fam, Get Back to..."

Everybody loves the holiday seasons and I am not different. Thanksgiving probably being my favorite holiday next Christmas (spiritual meaning, gifts like a birthday and food like Thanksgiving...nothing beats that one). For me the holiday season normally means travel and since I am so family oriented I try not to miss any holidays with them...if I can help it. Luckily the drive down to NC to be with my mom and my sister isn't all that bad. I like to drive and as long as I have 15-20 of my favorite CDs with me for the ride it's normally a great 6.5 hour trip (yeah that's an oxymoron if I have ever heard one...LOL). The best part about the ride is I get a chance to sing and not worry about anybody hearing how bad I sound. LOL. Getting out of the car and finally arriving to my moms place to stretch my legs is pretty damn nice too...walking has never felt so good :-) For some reason this year my mother was completley opposed to taking any pictures and instead decided to take a lot of pics of me and my sister so I figured I'd share a couple...

(Give em one with the smile and then straighten it up...LOL. My sister is one of my best friends and we act silly together all the time.)



Truth be told, the ride down to NC wasnt close to being the hardest part about Thanksgiving this year. This year my church is fasting right now and my fast consists of beef and pork, pork being a huge part Thanksgiving in my family. Man that sh*t was torture! And why did my mom pull out a beef pot roast the day after and tell me she WAS planning to make that for me during my trip....Aint that some %$&#!!!! LMAO. You can't really feel me if you don't do Honeybaked ham every year or used to get a potroast to take back to college with you every other time you visited home. LOL (yeah I was a lil spoiled with that one..wouldn't share it with the homies neither. LOL).
Part 2 - "I ain't the livest kat in NC, b*tch I'm the livest n*gga PERIOD!":
Visiting the part of NC where I went to highschool is sort of interesting for me now. Being away I forget just how different the environment down there can be compared to the environment in the DMV (DC, Maryland, north Virginia) but spending 4 and a half days down there reminds just how much I am NOT missing. LOL. It's funny just how different these two worlds can be. For example, I have heard people say that MD is a football state...in the words of Dave Chappelle "naah nigga, uhn uuuuhh!" LOL. Hickory NC reminds me just what a true football community is...fanatical!!! I went to a highschool football playoff game during my visit and it's like going to a college. That's how strong the energy is at these games...unless your school sucks of course. Think I'm BSing...my highschool had stadium lights my freshman year, my college didn't have stadium lights the entire time I was there. LOL. Unfortunately my highschool lost in overtime but that comes with the territory...the thing that trips me out is how many people that went to highschool with me were actually in attendance. But I guess when you think about it...they ain't got sh*t else to do around there. LOL.
Another thing that makes me realize the huge difference in area is the amount of stares that I get. Not that I think I am anything special to look at but I can't help but notice all the head turns I get...and not just from women it's from everyone in general.
I mean you look at this picture and in DC I am just another person in the crowd, right? Well in NC this stands out for some reason but to be honest I think what really stands out is the hair.
If you live in or frequent the Metro area then you might notice that A LOT of folks have natural hair and it's a regular thing for dudes to have locs or other types of long hair styles. Sh*t my hair isn't even really that long in comparison. But in NC they look at me like WTF! LOL. It's pretty funny cause back in college they did the same thing when I would come back sporting Cornrows or even with the 'fro out. Different strokes for different folks I guess...If I have on one of them hoodies with the gold skulls all over it and a removable goldplated cubic zirconia mouthpiece I would fit right in. Just another indication that Hickory isn't and really hasn't ever been the place for me. Love to visit the fam but other than that...I'll pass. LOL. Of course if my sister can't come home to DC for the Christmas holiday I will probably end up right back there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home